Thank you sky, for not peeing on me...
Woohoo! Blue sky!! Today was the first day in like, a WEEK that it didn't pour rain...and of course it would be a Monday! Where was this weather yesterday hun? When I was on the sailboat with my dad, trying to get the damn thing moving under a grey sky with NO wind! Yea, that was fun...Things have been as nutty as usual lately. I got over a flu early last week, though I've noticed that since then I've been pretty sensitive to anything I eat. There's this half-hour period of general discomfort after each meal, which has made my appetite wane a bit. I've given up on breakfast and most of the time lunch is either a small sandwich or salad. I was happy with Booster Juice for a while until Shan mentioned something about the boosters holding not-so-nice chemicals. I guess if I got it booster-less it would be OK (but then it would be just...juice. And who wants to spend $6 on JUICE?). Anyway, I'm hoping it might help with the waist-line issue...I guess that means I have to stop buying clothes :P.
This weekend, however, was a definite exception to my newfound eating habits, and let me tell you: any general discomfort was well worth it! Saturday Dad's birthday celebrations continued with a dinner for his side of the family. My grandma, aunt, uncle and two cousins--plus my brother--were supposed to come over for a BBQ, but when Dad saw lobsters on at Loeb for $7.99/lbs. he decided it was too good a deal to pass up and went and bought a whole dozen!!
Since there were only 7 of us eating them (Anthony and Tash weren't interested; they got chicken), Dad said he'd just cook them all and we'd have the rest on Sunday. Good intentions, but not very realistic when you have a table of ravenous lobster eaters in front of you! Dad, Adam and Joe all had two whole lobsters to themselves. I had hopes of eating two, but ended up with about 1 and 1/2. The kids saw how much fun we were having with them and said they wanted to try a bit, so I let them split one of my claws. I think it's the first time "you don't know until you try it" has ever worked in someone's favour! They loved it so much that I let them split the tail too (though not before taking a good-sized chunk for myself...What? It's the best part!!).
After dinner and dessert (yes, we had CAKE after all that!) everyone headed upstairs to digest, but Anthony, Tash and I decided to throw on a movie and hang out in my room instead. I used to hate being the one that always had to entertain those two while they were over for dinner, but at the ages of 11 and 13 they're getting to be a lot of fun now, and I almost prefer their company to the cranky old-timers at the adults table!
We watched The Incredibles (the kids hadn't seen it) and caught up a bit. My aunt and uncle are going to take a weekend trip up to North Bay some time in July, and after having a blast hanging out with my cousins all evening, I was more then willing to agree to spend the weekend babysitting them when the invitation was presented at the end of the night.
Dad's birthday celebrations ended on Saturday just in time for Father's Day on Sunday. Since I had already spent a heap on his birthday present (a mounted poster of Leonardo Da Vinci's lesser-known inventions which I picked up at the Nat. Gallery when we went to see the big spider), a card, a hug and a home-made breakfast was all this poor student could afford (yes, that's the same poor student who bought pants and a pair of shoes on Saturday after going shopping with Karen, Andy and Tim, and two skirts at Carlingwood today...shhhh).
After brunch (also quite the feast with poached eggs, bacon, sausages, hashbrowns, smoked salmon and fruit!) Mom went to visit my Grandpa John to give him his FD gift, Adam went home to clean his stinky apartment and Dad and I buggered off to the boat to work for a bit and see if the weather cleared up enough to get her out on the water. We succeeded in getting the boom and both sails up, as well attaching other odds and ends, but decided it wasn't worth going for a sail. The lack of wind meant we'd be motoring most of the time anyway. We elected instead to head up to the sailing club and drown the rest of the afternoon in a pitcher of beer (bought by yours truly as a Father's Day bonus).
When we got home more company arrived in the forms of Lynn and Steve Bell, family friends of ours from Toronto who were crashing at our place for the night because of a funeral they had in town today. They weren't very close with the deceased (it was Steve's brother's wife's mother...) but wanted to come to lend support to the family, as well as taking the opportunity to spend some time with us. It was nice to see them, although Dad and Steve are drinking buddies, and since Dad had already had a few at the club, and Steve REALLY isn't a fan of funerals (who is?) the two of them were quite the spectacle by the end of the night...
And just when we were getting going, another week started today. Work's gotten 10 million times better over the last few days so I'm not dreading the work week quite as much as I was a few weeks ago. I'm still in desperate need of a holiday though, so I'm very much looking forward to heading out to see my buddy next week (TEN DAYS!!). I'm miss you SO much buddy...can't wait for some hardcore MegLaur-time. Oh, and I have your pants.
Yep, that's right folks. I'm ending on pants.
Night!


0 comment(s):
Post a Comment<< Home