This one's for you buddy...
Ok, I’ve decided that I’m going to make time to post by writing stuff bit by bit in an MSWord document while no one at work is looking. And why would I do that, pray-tell? Because that’s the only time I CAN do it!Summer is crazy! I complain about being too busy during school, but it doesn’t change once summer hits! Of course at school it’s an “oh-my-god-I’m-going-insane-and-if-I-don’t-get-this-done-I’m-going-to-fail-out-of-life” busy, where as this is just “fun” busy.
I’ll start with the long weekend and work my way forward:
I had a great May 2-4 weekend hanging with friends, despite the absolutely CRAP-tacular weather. On Saturday Vicki came to town and we hit the new War Museum out at Lebreton Flats. It was the perfect day to spend a rainy Saturday. We were in there for three hours and we only saw the main exhibit (which is only about 2/3 of the museum). After that Vicks and I went back to my place and made sushi for dinner, followed by some Hoopla (board game) fun over at Andrew’s with Karen, Shannon, Tim and Serena…watching Karen ride a pillow while making mechanical bull sounds was in itself worth the trip out to K-town!! :P
Sunday was spent with the fam. My grandma left for France last week, so we went for a late brunch at her place to say goodbye. After that I went over to my brother’s to hang out since we hardly see each other…ever…anymore, and miraculously we both had the day free and clear. Shawn joined us for some Swiss Chalet dinner and a veg-fest on the couch til me bro took me home around midnight.
Monday I succumbed and went to see Star Wars with Shannon and Tim. Yes, I realize I’m pathetic. Shut up. Anyway, I actually wound up really enjoying it, so I guess it all worked out in the end. After the movie Shan and I went to her place for pizza dinner courtesy of her dad (thanks Mr. Charbonneau!).
We were supposed to get together with the boys after dinner to play in-door mini-golf, but Tim backed-out because of a headache, so Shan and I went over and harassed Karen instead. She was trying to study for her slew of finals the next day, and our plan of helping her be counter-productive worked like a charm :D (WHAT??). Finally we met Andrew for a coffee, and then went home to hit the sac before starting another week of work (boo).
The week was basically a blur of friends, coffee, big spiders and comedy clubs. Steph was home this week, meaning I got to reconnect with some not-too-often seen friends from high school. We hung out with Christina earlier in the week, and on Thursday Steph and Vicki met me downtown so we could finally head to the NAG to check out Maman, the 10-metre high spider now on permanent display. It was still somewhat inaccessible to walk under, but warning tape tears and barricades fall down, so we still managed to get a good look ;).
This is it at the Guggenheim.
After a quick tour of the gallery (and by that I mean the gift shop) and a pint at the Earl of Sussex across the street, Julia picked us up and we were off to Absolute Comedy. I’d have to say this was by far the best show I’ve seen there yet. It was a special night for workers of the Distress Centre here in Ottawa, so they had a few headliners as well as a couple openers. There was one 20 minute bit on OC Transpo that had me in stitches…
Flash forward to Saturday: the big race!! I had been training for the National Capital Race Weekend’s 5K race, basically since the snow melted, and I was anxious to see if the weeks of training had paid off. By Saturday I knew that my goal of running the race in 30 minutes without stopping was not going to be met. School had taken priority through a lot of April, and when the non-stop crappy weather hit in May, it was hard to find the motivation to stick to my schedule.
I decided that if I finished the race in 35 minutes, with maybe one break around the 3K mark, I’d be happy. Well, I couldn’t even manage that…My final time was about 37.5 minutes, which I wasn’t very happy with, but after a while I realised that I was just happy I’d DONE it. It was a really neat experience with a lot of cool people…I’d do it again in a heart-beat. I figure I’ve got all summer to improve on my time, and the experience of taking part in such an awesome event was enough of a reason to have taken part, no matter what the outcome.
It was also really cool to have my parents and friends out to support me. Shannon, Karen, Andrew and Kevin all came to see me off at the start line, and I swear it was their cheers which kept me going to the finish line at the end. I was SO tired, but when I heard Karen scream “GO MEGAN!!” from the 200m mark, this voice inside my head kind of went “Really?? Ok…” and I shot off like a bat-outta-Hell! I crossed the finish line exhausted but really excited. It was so much fun!
After I recovered from my race, we went to see Shannon’s mom off, as she was doing the 10K which started at 6:30 p.m. (the 5K started at 5). I also went and got my medal engraved with my name and time on it, and we walked around to pass the time before heading over to the finish line to cheer on Mrs. Charbonneau. She did amazingly well! A 10K in 51 minutes?? That’s pretty impressive!
Following the necessary congratulations, the gals and I headed off to find Andrew and go for a late dinner. He had left shortly after seeing me off to go to a family dinner, but us ladies still had empty stomachs, and I, for one, was starving. Yummy shrimp and vermicelli at May-Phong hit the spot. We spent the rest of the evening sprawled along my couches, watching Lemony Snicket and torturing the cat (always a delightful past-time!).
Alrighty, that looks like enough for one post. I’ll fill you in on this past week over the weekend. I’m going home early today because I pulled some over-time yesterday (long story…I’ll vent later). Toodles all!!


0 comment(s):
Post a Comment<< Home