The newest addition to the Top 10 Funniest Things I’ve Ever Heard on Television:
Joan Rivers excusing herself from the Emmys’ Red Carpet because she had “to go drop a twosie.”I think I laughed so hard I onesied in my pants.
Anyway, what’s new lately? Well, Scotland Yard saved the world from another 9/11, our Prime Minister skipped the biggest AIDS Conference in the world to go protect the North from Denmark, and somewhere in the course of 24 hours last week we seem to have lost a planet.
Good times.
Oh, you mean with ME? Well, not much. The new gov’t job is going well. It’s so nice to be in an environment where people know what I can do and are not afraid to challenge me to reach my limits and go beyond them.
Sure beats filing.
Things are slow since the AIDS Conference ended, and besides a brief blip about the abortion ruling in Quebec (http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2006/08/18/abortion-overbilled.html) and tackling a couple of Access to Information requests, there hasn’t been much of significance going on in Canada’s health world. That’s alright. Once the House starts sitting again and politicians start saying stupid things and making promises they can’t possibly keep, I’m sure there will be plenty to keep me occupied.
I’ve also made some decisions in my personal life that will hopefully have a positive, long-term outcome. The first being that I’m not going to Africa this fall. A lack of organisation within the ranks of the Rwanda Initiative (and the fact that Allan has been ignoring my emails and generally been kind of a dick) has shaken my faith in their ability to give me a safe and rewarding experience in Rwanda. However, the rave reviews of the program from my two friends who were there this summer have not been forgotten. I will be officially applying to the program for a placement next spring when, hopefully, they will have their act together.
I came to this decision last week, and didn’t realise how much of an effect not knowing what was going on with Africa was having on me. It was stressing me out to the point where I was really miserable to be around, especially for my parents. Turning my focus back to working out the rest of the year, and on spending some time abroad in New Zealand in 2007 made me feel lighter, and happier, than I’d been in weeks.
The second decision is regarding my health. Knowing that my coverage under my parents health insurance was ending in September, I decided that now was the time to get to the bottom of my constant low-energy levels. A frank and open discussion with my family doctor has created some options, and I’m finally starting to feel better. Now that I know where I’m going to be for the next four months, I can start to focus on getting more active, taking some fitness classes, and shedding those unwanted pounds. I’m feeling energized and motivated. I hope it lasts this time.
Most people save their resolutions for January 1st, but as someone who has been in school for 17 out of my 23 years, I’ve always felt that September was the time for new beginnings. Now that I’m finally finished my scholarly training, I guess these new challenges will have to be created by myself. I think with the right attitude I’ll be able to fill the void.
Happy new year.


0 comment(s):
Post a Comment<< Home