Aaaall BYYY myyseeellllllf!!
Weehee!!People usually sing that song when they're lonely, but not this time!! I'm alone and LOVIN' it!
My parents have gone to Cuba for a week. They left at a truly unGODLY hour on Thursday morning (I was up at *ahem* 4:45 a.m. to drive them to the airport) which was followed by a rather heinous journalism day. But now that it's the weekend I'm really enjoying the peace and quite of a house all to myself.
Oh, and you'll never guess what happened yesterday:
I GOT LAID OFF! YIPPIEEEEEEEE!!!
Ok, I know it sucks from the moolah department, but my boss was just so awesome about it (first time EVER). My REAL boss I mean, like, the Director (Catherine). She pulls me into her office after my other boss tells me that Mar. 31 will be my last day. She sits me down and gives the whole schpeel about how the admin team is now fully staffed and I've been instrumental in allowing them to do that and bla bla bla...
But THEN she says the other reason she's letting me go is because I'm being "wasted doing admin work." I start thinking "well that's all well and good missy, but I'll be wasting AWAY if I don't have a job this summer."
She says a third year journalism student with my "talents" shouldn't be clerking, so she tells me to print out my CV and go over to see her friend "Anne" on the other side of the floor. By the time I get to my cublical she's already sent out an email to every frigging person I've ever heard of who works in the government, saying that if they're looking for summer students, I'm it. Way cool.
So I print out my resume and a colleague of mine, Heather, comes over and says she's going to take me to see "Anne." I'm all pumped now...if I'm getting escorted by senior staff, she gotta be pretty important.
So we go over, and just before she gets up I sneak a peak at her last name written on the plate outside her cubicle. It's Van Dusen. Her name is Anne VAN DUSEN.
Peter Van Dusen, Canadian journalism GOD is her HUSBAND!!! Holy shit. (For those of you who aren't j-school nuts, Van Dusen was on CJOH forever, and has now moved over to CPAC where he has his own political affairs show. He's interviewed pretty much anybody who's anybody in Canadian politics).
So we chat for a few minutes. She asks me how I like the program, am I doing a minor, what am I interested in, yadda yadda. I try to throw on as much charm as possible, cuz this is friggin huge. After a few minutes I get the feeling she likes me. She says she'll make a few phone calls on my behalf.
I'm not back at my desk 5 MINUTES when Catherine grabs me into her office. She says she just got off the phone with Anne who seems to be very impressed with my personality. She wants an electronic copy of my CV to send around. HOLY SHIT!
So I go back to my desk and send it to her. Now I'm not kidding here, despite a emergency computer incident which had me wrapped up for about 2 hours, we spent the rest of the afternoon emailing back and forth!! She asked me what type of journalism I want to do, what have I been trained in, have I applied anywhere already, can I send her samples of my work over the weekend?
So I tell her: I love all three media (yes, radio's growing on me), but I'm the most interested in print. I've been trained in all three. I applied to a Canadian Geographic internship, but I had assumed I was working in the gov't over the summer, so I hadn't applied anywhere else. I'll send her my soul if I have to.
She writes me back: Sounds good, she'll make some calls over the weekend and next week. Coincidentally, a senior editor at Can. Geo. is her NEIGHBOUR so she'll see what she can do about that over the weekend. She wants a few samples of my print work, and one or two examples of radio/tv stuff if I can get it.
HOLY SHIT!
So I get to spend the rest of the weekend sifting through about a thousand print stories to find out what I want to send her. I'm so EXCITED :D.
Weehee! I'm all alone and I'm unemployed...could life GET any better????


0 comment(s):
Post a Comment<< Home